Green juicing is a great way to get the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants) from a large amount of vegetables and a little bit of fruit in a concentrated form. Think of it as a concentrated blast of tasty plant nutrients. The juicer removes the fiber from the vegetables leaving behind only the juice and 90% of the nutrients. Sure, you COULD sit down and eat the giant bowl of vegetables, but if you don’t already do that on a regular basis it’s a not an easy habit to instill overnight. Juicing is a much easier habit to pick up and has many benefits to doing every day.
I have a Breveille juice fountain elite which is a pretty high end juicer, but really any juicer will work to get started. Most often you can find a used juicer on craigslist for pretty cheap. Get one, grab some veggies and start juicing! There really isn’t a lot to it.
Lemon ginger blast (makes 1 liter / 32oz)
- 1-2 apples (1 for regular, 2 for extra sweet)
- 1 cucumber (unpeeled if organic, peeled if organic)
- 1 lemon (unpeeled if organic, peeled if organic)
- 2 “fingers” worth of ginger
- 5 stalks of celery (or more, I use a whole head)
- a few leaves/bunches of kale, parsley and/or cilantro (any leafy greens)
- 1 jalapeno or habanero (SPICY! optional)
Vegan Gym Rat is a blog about health, fitness, and pushing your limits on a plant based diet. You can get in touch with me via email ironcladben at mailbolt dot com or on twitter @IronCladBen